Tuesday 4 June 2019

Aging and time

I have often thought that one way to slow down the terrifying acceleration of time as I get older is to spend the days with small children.  This is exhausting, but maybe that it the price you have to pay to get full value from every waking hour.
Certainly when my own children were small, the days seemed to last as long as they had when I was a child myself. The impression that time has speeded up - especially the months, seasons and years - has got more appalling the more I am away from small people.
The last 24 hours has been spent with the grandsons, and it's already lasted about a week. We have been doing - everything. I have sat on the floor a lot, and been climbed on. I have read, and re-read, and read out loud again books made of thick cardboard pages with pop-up sections. I have counted up to a hundred.
I have taught first one, and then the second boy how to play Connect Four... the the competitive part has not been mastered, but getting the counters into the tiny little frame has been completely understood - this little toy amused their father when he was a child...  They have already lost two of the precious counters so I will have to move the sofa later to find them.
I have counted up to a hundred again. I have laughed. I have wiped so much green pasty stuff off the boys' faces you would not believe that so much gunk could have started as one innocent bowl of pea soup.
I have rescued a fine old chisel from being hammered into the floor. I have helped eat porridge with my fingers.
I have helped each boy have a go on a new (second-hand) pedal car, on the lumpy lawn in the rain. round and round, eventually abandoned to wait for drier weather or a harder surface.
I have played Spiderman Zipwire about 75 times across the sitting room, while discussing how wet my (his) feet could get if we splashed into a pond under the wire, and how scared Spiderwoman would be if he (yes, he is a superhero) if he had to do the same thing.
I have been in the rain to the supermarket, hearing the tune for Batman boysplained to me over and over and over again, and then performed - dinner-dinner-dinner-dinner-Batmannnnn! dinner-dinner-dinner-dinner-dinner-dinner-dinner-Batmaaaaaaaaan! (Many times).  I have carefully selected which apple turnover to bring home, and then had to phone my DIL to find out if it can be eaten immediately... (No!)..... But then selected a box of blueberries to eat on the way home, and pushed home in the absolutely tipping rain with the two boys alternately picking blueberries out of the punnet with extreme delicacy, while the rain poured down their impervious face...... We came home without the Batman Chorus but full of blueberries and completely happy, wet from top to bottom.  Next we made art on the phone with a digital paintbox, and emailed them to the parents....  And then we played trains, and watched some television, and texted to Aunty Lucie, and then ... well, it's mid-afternoon and we still have the rest of the afternoon.....    So, this is my formula.  I have been living in their timezone. It goes MUCH more slowly than old time.  I recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment