Friday 18 August 2017

Trying

They're trying hard in Albania to jump into the modern world, and I'm trying to communicate with the world in trying circumstances. However I can't really complain as it's warm or hot and sunny, the boat is behaving beautifully, the swell was less nauseating today and we reached the huge port of Durres without mishap. Luigi the port agent was charming and only required 7 pages of paperwork to be filled in. He took our passports away and will be there for us to leave at 5.45 tomorrow mornjng, he says, with a policeman to make sure we go. It's very old fashioned.
We saw the Roman amphitheater, the ancient city wall, and the Venetian tower. Now having a fresh orange juice on the prom.
My scared moment yesterday has receded into a plausible therapeutic event - more work needed there.
We are liking Albania very much. All the people we've met so far have been lovely. I even quite like the two very dark men who sprang to their two windows when we walked into their yard to admire their motorbike-pushcart. They loomed out if the squalor and gloom of their house like wild beasts, glaring-staring at us through the ancient iron bars on the right dies. A girl moved silently behind them. I smiled, pointed at the bike, and eventually they smiled back. I am wondering who are the two dark men in my unconscious.

No comments:

Post a Comment