Friday 27 September 2019

Smoky girls, prickly fruits


Over the last few years I’ve taken a little sketchbook and pens with me on all my travels, and often sit and draw what I see - whatever it is. That’s often a cafe or bar, so there are a lot of pages with tables and chairs, sometimes a few people appear. Some people don’t seem to notice what I’m doing, or ignore it. Some walk casually past to glance at what I’ve done.  For the first time ever, I was directly asked yesterday to show my work…. The scene was a street cafe in Tortoli. Two girls, who were in a group of five, appear in my drawing. I would say they were schoolgirls, all wearing black.  A man came to join them - maybe a teacher. They did not have enough courage to speak to me, but sent him and they came to see the drawing. They decided with squeals of laughter who it was I had drawn …. they took photos of my sketch, giggled, said they liked it.   All of them had been smoking….


Later we went up to Lanusei (too late, or too early) for the cannabis shop to be open, but had a splendid lunch in the Belvedere Hotel with a marvellous view down to the sea. Once again, a ‘pizzeria’ - at this end of season - was not in operation for making pizzas.  Menu choices only.   Pizzas then are just for evenings, or for crowded times.

I drew prickly pears, Andrew gathered some windfalls…. These magnificent cactus are everywhere - absolutely loaded with their slightly rude-looking fat-toe fruits… an unexploited food resource. If you can avoid touching the damned prickles the fruits are scrummy.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment